What is load balancing? As the name suggest, it stabilize the traffic load of the network in an effective way over numerous servers located in server farm. It order to manage and monitor the traffic, load balancer is placed among frontend user devices and backend servers. The job of load balancer is to collect massive volume of incoming user requests and allocate them to appropriate server which has the ability to satisfy the requests.This page depicts you that How Does Load Balancing using SDN Work!!!
What is software-defined networking (SDN)?
SDN is expanded as Software-defined networking technique. It generally practices Software / API based controller to interact with hardware framework. In specific, it has the whole picture of network to direct and control the data traffic.
What is the purpose of SDN?
The general purpose of SDN technique is to control the entire network through smartly programmed software applications. This application will work efficiently to maintain the network consistently without considering the network size and topology.
What are the different models of SDN?
Actually, various SDN models were developed to control network. Majorly, it works on the principles of controlling data flow over routers / switchers through centralized software. And, some of the primarily used SDN-models given below,
- APIs-based SDN
- Open SDN
- Hybrid SDN
- SDN Overlay Model
Advantages of SDN
The most important factor of SDN is that it supports dynamic environment due to its network programmability and centralization features. In this, it can dynamically do any changes for the benefits of computer network. Further, here we have given you other important advantages of SDN framework in real-time environs.
- Central Management
- SDN controller is works based on network intelligence
- Software are logically smart to capture the whole network view
- Seems to be a single policy engine and switch from the application viewpoint
- Modernization Support
- Support innovative custom-based applications
- Scalable to design and develop new business models
- Offer more network worth and revenue streams
- Directly programmable to separate control plane from data plane
- Flexible to modify control and forwarding functions based on needs
- Support configuration of automation tools (commercial or non-commercial)
- For instance: Chef, Puppet, Openstack, etc.
- Fast and Flexible Development
- Admin can largely prefer SDN for fast development
- Flexible to develop infrastructure, service and application
- Easy to achieve application or service goals by doing small network adjustments
We believe that you are clear with fundamentals of SDN and load balancing from the above sections. Now, we can see about the need of load balancing in the network. This helps you to understand the importance of network offloading.
Why is load balancing necessary?
- To manage the heavy traffic of user requests in heterogeneous network models
- To give equal preferences to users by allocating resources efficiently (without congestion)
- To assure the service accessibility and scalability through ADC
- To provide end-to-end centralized control to ADC for best QoS and QoE. Since, ADC will provide multiple services over several environs.
- For instance: authentication, web application (firewalling), encryption, etc.
In addition, we have also given you the few primary merits of the load balancing. In specific, these metrics play a significant role in enhancing the efficiency of the load balancing techniques. We ensure you that we provide you keen assistance in improving following metrics.
Benefits of Load Balancing
- Minimized downtime
Next, we can see How Does Load Balancing using SDN Work. Due the open view and centralized control capabilities of SDN, we can efficiently manage the network traffic load in regardless of the network size. In order to propose best load balancing algorithms, we refer several existing techniques to know the current demand of load balancing techniques. Also, perform comparative study on techniques to find the optimal one.
Load balancing parameters in SDN
For this thorough study, we can evaluate the techniques based on certain parameters. And the major qualitative parameters are: delay, throughput and utilization. Further, we have given you the other metrics used for qualitative parameters,
- Overhead Ratio
- Energy Usage
- Packet Loss Ratio
- Execution Duration
- Resource Utilization
- Forwarding Entries
- Response Duration
- Aggregative Frequency
- Guaranteed Bit Rate (GBR)
- Degree of Load Balancing
- Average Synchronizations Count / minute
- Percentage of Matched Deadline Flow
- Root Mean Squared Error (RMSE)
When one discuss about the SDN concept, the conservation surely hits the topic of Open Flow (OF). Since, it is the one of the main standards introduced for SDN support. In specific, OF provide set of instructions (i.e., protocol) essential to follow in establishing the data transmission over SDN environment. In overall, this protocol enables you to openly communicate with the deployed network components such as switches, routers,routing etc. The highlights of open flow switches in SDN can be follows.
- Use SDN controller to transmit the data between application / business logic and switches / routers. In other words, it transmits data from northbound APIs to southbound APIs.
- Flexible to do changes in network to support business needs
Furthermore, here we have given you the noteworthy rewards of open flow in SDN environment. Our resource team has long-term experience in handling below specified aspects. So, we are proficient to fulfill your needs at any level of complexity. Moreover, we also exactly assist you in right track of network controlling.
Benefits of open flow
- Unified Intelligence
- Enable to manage the granular policy and resource provision in performance optimization
- Enable to partition the logical and physical structure, control and data planes as well as network software and hardware
- Enable to create new services and features rapidly with the assurance of novelty
So far, we have discussed about Load balancing in SDN and Openflow switch. Now, we can see How Does Load Balancing using SDN Work by means of load balancers techniques.
Works related to load balancing
- Least Connection
- For request distribution, both Round Robin (RR) and Weighted RR fails to consider the current load condition of server
- To overcome this flaw, Least Connection method consider the current load condition of server
- Then the request is forwarded to the active server which served only in least numbers
- IP Addresses Hashing (Source and Destination)
- Utilizes IP addresses of both source and destination (i.e., client and server) to create the unique hash key
- Then, it uses the same key for assigning client to corresponding server
- Chained Failover (Static Weighted)
- Works on the basis of servers in order to decide the chain of servers configuration
- Here, the requests are forwarded by the first server in the chain
- Round Robin
- Particularly, it is tolerable in the case of simple faults
- Here, the tasks are allocated to the set of identical servers for same services
- However servers are differentiated by IP address, they are jointly configured to utilize identical domain name
- Adaptive Agent assisted Load Balancing
- Individually allocate agent to all the servers in a server farm for providing current load information
- The load balancer utilizes this real-time information to assign the request to capable server for efficient balancing
- Adaptive SDN
- Cooperatively use the information of both upper and lower networking layers along with network state
- Then, take decision on load balancing based on the collected information
- For instance: current status of running applications, network traffic level, network infrastructure, server state, etc.
- Weighted Response Time
- To verify the fastness of the server in certain period, it constantly compute the response time of the servers
- Then, the server access request is forwarded to that server
In overall, we are technically full-fledged to support you in any kind of SDN-based load balancing projects. We support you not only in research phase but also development phase along with document / manuscript writing. Further, if you have queries regarding load balancing implementation in SDN network then approach us. Our ultimate goal is to provide you up-to-date research services over latest load balancing topics in SDN technology. Also, we ensure that we provide you unique and high-quality development services for your handpicked research topic.